After a series of teaser and steady build-up, Roland and Serato finally unveiled the Roland DJ-808 controller for Serato DJ, and it’s a beast: a 4 channel Serato DJ controller, with hardware independent mixer, a drum machine and a step-sequencer in one.
Aside from the fact the controller looks amazing and it really enters uncharted territory by combining producer gear and dj gear in 1 piece of equipment, the implications of Roland entering the DJ market could be enormous. It just makes the market place so much more interesting and certainly challenges the established players to up their game.
- Integrated TR-S drum machine offering the iconic 606, 707, 808 and 909 drum sounds in a 16-step sequencer, which can also trigger the newly improved 8-slot Serato DJ Sampler.
- RGB coloured performance pads give performers and DJs control for all the usual Serato DJ features such as Hot Cues, Loop Roll, Slicer, Sampler as well as TR Pad Mode for the drum machine and Pitch Play.
- The unique Roland VT Voice Transformer is something new for Serato DJs, offering a number of powerful effects including pitch shifting and vocal key matching to playing tracks via the Auto Pitch feature.
- Two AIRA link USB ports offering seamless connection with Roland synths and instruments. This offers a huge range of creative possibilities for live performance rigs, remixing and music production.
- Control for all of the professional level Serato DJ features such as Serato Flip, Pitch ‘n Time DJ Key Shifting and Sync, Looping and all library and play controls.
- Serato DJ Enabled – no extra license required. Also includes a license for Pitch ‘n Time DJ.
- Purchase the DVS Expansion Pack and connect turntables or CDJs.
- 24bit/96kHz audio fidelity
- Dual-deck mode to control two Serato DJ decks simultaneously
- Large range 100mm pitch faders for accurate level control in the mix
- 1/8” and 1/4” headphones jacks, combo XLR input jacks, built-in phono pre-amp, and audiophile sound quality
Price and availability are not announced yet, so stay tuned for more on that.