Pioneer DJ just released DJM-REC, an IOS app to record your sets on your phone. The application is compatible with the following DJ mixers:
DJM-REC can control the peak limit in a DJM mixer, reducing the amount of clipping in your final recording. It should also be easy to share and even stream your mixes online through the usual platforms (Facebook Live, Periscope, SnapChat). There also are controls to improve your mix’s loudness and low-end, which cannot ever deliver the same result as a proper mastering session but should improve somehow the final quality of your mix.
I downloaded the trial version and it’s really easy to use. If it sounds as good as the press release says it does, club DJ’s will probably adopt it as it’s easy to use and low cost.
Still, you won’t be recording any audience noise with this, unless you have it coming into one of your mixer channels and then into the app.
- SIMPLE CONNECTION TO DJM SERIES MIXERS: Install DJM-REC on your iPhone or iPad, then simply plug into any DJM mixer which has the digital send/return feature using a single USB cable. The port is on the top of the mixer rather than the back, so connecting is a breeze even in a dark DJ booth.
- HIGH-QUALITY RECORDING WHICH MINIMISES CLIPPING AND DISTORTION: DJM-REC can control the peak limiter in the DJM mixer. Tap the button to enable this feature and alleviate digital clipping. Audio from a digital mixer can be recorded directly in digital format without the need for analogue conversion.
- EASILY SHARE YOUR MIXES: Effortlessly live stream your mix through YouTube, Facebook Live, Periscope, Instagram and Snapchat via DJM-REC. Easily upload your recorded mixes, digital recordings of your analogue tracks, and remixed tracks created using features and FX on DJM mixers to cloud services such as Mixcloud and Dropbox.
- AUTO TIME-STAMP FOR EFFORTLESS TRACK LIST CREATION: Time-stamps for tracks are automatically created thanks to the information transmitted from the DJM mixer, such as the fader positions, to the app. The time-stamps are editable and making track lists is easy, as you can edit track information per time-stamp within the app.
- POWERFUL CLUB-STANDARD SOUND, REMASTERED EASILY: Swipe the Loudness slider on DJM-REC to easily increase audio pressure. Punchy, heavier, vibrant bass sound that can’t be obtained by simply raising the signal level of the low range is created when you swipe the Sub Bass slider, as this creates new signals based on the track’s input signals. Old tracks can be refreshed with a powerful club sound, just like the latest releases.
- OTHER FEATURES:
- Deck FX – Recorded sound on your iPhone or iPad can be input into DJM series mixers using the digital send/return feature.
- Record analogue – Analogue recording while your device isn’t connected to a mixer is simple using an external microphone with the iPhone or iPad’s microphone function.
Pricing and Availability
DJM-REC is available now in the app store, costs USD 9.99 with a 30 day trial period.