Pioneer DJ has just presented the brand new Pioneer DJ DJM-S7, the smaller brother of the Pioneer DJ DJM-S11 that came out only a few weeks ago. The DJM-S7 inherits many features of the DJM-S11 and could be seen as an upgrade to the older DJM-S9.
The DJM-S7 inherits the independent pad sections for each deck from the DJM-S11, but has to miss the large color screen. In compensation, there is a small screen that displays the selected effect (among other things). The DJM-S7 includes all 22 Beat FX from the DJM-S11. Also, you can access the software FX in Serato DJ Pro (or Rekordbox DJ) directly from the mixer as well.
The DJM-S7 supports Bluetooth streaming, which allows you to trigger one-shots, samples, or other sounds directly from Bluetooth devices.
The DJM-S7 costs USD 1399, and that’s a good 600 dollars less than the DJM-S11. You miss out on the big central screen, but apart from that, it offers a lot of the same features for a lot less cash. Pioneer DJ is marketing this mixer not only to battle DJ’s, but also to open format / top 40 club DJ’s that need a lot of performance features combined with the flexibility of a separated mixer (as opposed to using a professional DJ controller).
- Magvel Fader Pro: We’ve enhanced the feeling of the Magvel Fader Pro and boosted the rigidity of the knob mounting shaft in the vertical direction by 30 percent so you can scratch with even more confidence.
- Large Performance Pads: The 8 large Performance Pads on each channel are easy to hit when you want to rapidly fire off Hot Cues and samples. And with independent pad modes, you can use 2 different features – one on each channel’s set of pads – at the same time.
- Large effect levers: The DJM-S7 includes all 22 built-in Beat FX from the DJM-S11 so you can get creative with software effects in Serato DJ Pro and rekordbox. It’s easy to change the 6 effects assigned to the FX Select buttons and you can keep an eye on the name and beat value of the one you’re using by glancing at the OLED display.
- Bluetooth input: Wirelessly add audio from your phone to your performance: Simply pair your phone with the DJM-S7 via Bluetooth and you can drop sounds straight into your set. You can play loops to scratch over, trigger sounds from instrument apps, or use a music app to play a track requested by someone in the audience. Or simply have your mobile device connected and ready as a backup in case your laptop fails. You can play the sound directly through the master output or either of the channels and use the dedicated knob and fader on the front of the mixer to adjust the level.
- Loop MIDI: Use effect levers for automated control of DJ software functions: This brand-new feature in the effects section of the DJM-S7 can control various functions in your DJ software by repeatedly sending a MIDI signal to the software in a set beat cycle. For example, you can create a buildup by gradually shortening the beat cycle of a snare sample that is playing in a loop. Simply use the Beat buttons on the mixer to set the length of the loop, then switch on the effect lever to trigger the relevant feature. Functions including Hot Cue, sampler, and key shift-up are preassigned to the FX Select buttons so you can start using Loop MIDI straight away without needing to assign features first.
- Built-in USB hub: Directly connect your external devices: Streamline your setup with the DJM-S7. You can plug CDJs, DJ controllers, and other devices straight into the dual USB-A ports to play with them – there’s no need for an external hub. Plug in 2 CDJs to use HID mode and connect 2 laptops via the dual USB-B ports so you can change over smoothly with another DJ. An upcoming release of Serato DJ Pro will introduce official support for the CDJ-3000, so watch out for news on that.
- Scratch Bank: Rapidly access your sounds from Serato DJ Pro: With the Scratch Bank pad mode, you can instantly load scratch samples from 4 banks that you’ve assigned in Serato DJ Pro by simply tapping a pad. You can load from a specified start point too – handy if you want to use this feature to drop in full tracks during a routine.
- Combo Pad mode: Use up to 2 Serato DJ Pro modes simultaneously: Activate Combo Pad mode in Serato DJ Pro to use 2 different pad modes simultaneously, e.g. Hot Cue and Sampler. This reduces the need to change modes and gives you the option to combine more features to enhance your performance.
- Plug and play: Use Serato DJ Pro or rekordbox freely: The DJM-S7 automatically unlocks Serato DJ Pro and rekordbox performance features, including DVS control, when you connect it to a PC/Mac running the latest version of either application. You don’t need to activate a license key. The Serato DJ Pro Expansion Pack voucher (Pitch ‘n Time DJ) is included, which enables key shifting and key syncing with perfect audio quality.
Pricing and Availability
USD 1399, mid-February 2021