If you are looking for an entry-level DJ controller with that stands out a little more, these “new” controllers from Pioneer DJ could be your thing. The Pioneer DJ DDJ-400-N and the DDJ-SB3-S are, apart from the flashy looks, an exact functional copy of their regular versions, the Pioneer DJ DDJ-400, and the DDJ-SB3.
The DDJ-400-N has gone through a gold treatment, with golden accents on all buttons, and the jog wheels. Apart from that, it remains the same excellent Rekordbox DJ controller we already reviewed in the past.
I’m not the biggest fan of pimped gear, but I must say that in this case, it doesn’t look bad at all.
What I would really love to see is a high-end luxury version of an entry-level controller: a metal case instead of plastic, higher quality jog wheels, improved internals. It would bump the price up for sure, but it would also create even more buzz.
The DDJ-SB3-S is simply a silver version of the regular ddj-sb3, a fine beginner DJ controller for Serato DJ Lite. The silver color is quite stylish and definitely stands out.
Will these pimped up controllers ever reach a wide audience? Probably not, but for those people that like to have a different look than the standard one, these are nice options and avoid the work of applying a custom skin.
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SB3-S
- DESIGNED FOR USE WITH SERATO DJ LITE FOR INTUITIVE DJ PERFORMANCES: the layout design of the DDJ-SB3 is inherited from the top models in the DDJ-S series. The jog wheels, Performance Pads, play and cue buttons, independent Auto Loop buttons and all the knobs and fader positions in the mixer section are arranged in a way that enables intuitive, professional DJ performances.
- WORLD’S FIRST PAD SCRATCH FOR EASY, PROFESSIONAL SCRATCH PERFORMANCES: by simply pressing the Performance Pads on the DDJ-SB3, you can use the Pad Scratch feature to imitate eight different scratch techniques recorded by DJ Jazzy Jeff. Any track that you’re playing or have cued up will be scratched, and the scratch speed automatically matches the track’s BPM. So even if you have no experience, you can create professional scratch performances without breaking rhythm. Use the feature in isolation or combine it with your own scratching on the other deck for limitless creative possibilities.
- FX FADE FOR SMOOTH MIXING: using the new FX Fade feature, you can reduce the volume and apply FX to a track at the same time. Whether you’re an experienced DJ or a beginner, this enables you to smoothly transition to your incoming track, even if you’re playing with different genres of music. There are eight FX patterns to choose from, with two of each of the following types: high pass filter, low pass filter, loop playback and backspin.
- VISUAL DESIGN ENABLES INTUITIVE PERFORMANCES: the DDJ-SB3 feels natural to use thanks to the clear visual division of the player and mixer sections, which feature a hairline and glossy finish respectively. The aluminum jog wheels create a quality look and feel.
- OTHER FEATURES:
- built-in sound card (audio interface) – plug and play by simply connecting the controller to your laptop using a single USB cable.
- Class-compliant – no need to install a driver.
- Mic input circuit – clear audio without distortion, even with high input level.
- USB bus-powered.
- Grab handles on both sides – easy to carry.
- Paid upgrade to Serato DJ Pro (previously known as Serato DJ) – for more professional DJ performances. (available separately).
Pioneer DJ DDJ-400-N
The buttons and knobs on the DDJ-400 are arranged in the same way as those on our club-standard CDJ-2000NXS2 and DJM-900NXS2 set-up.
Player sections: Get familiar with jog wheels, play/pause and cue buttons, tempo sliders, a loop section and cue/loop call buttons just like the ones on the CDJ-2000NXS2.
Mixer section: Use the trim and EQ knobs, and the headphone cue buttons, in exactly the same way as those on the DJM-900NXS2.
- Built-in sound card (audio interface): Plug and play by simply connecting the controller to your PC/Mac using a single USB cable.
- Mic input circuit: clear audio without distortion, even with high input level.
- USB bus-powered: No need to plug into the mains.
- Grab handles on both sides: Easy to carry.
- Class-compliant: No need to install a driver.
Pricing and Availability
Available now, both at USD 249