Pioneer DJ today announced the new DDJ-SB3 controller for Serato DJ. It’s a significant upgrade over the previous iteration (DDJ-SB2), adding separate cue/play/sync buttons, new pad functions, and a dedicated loop section.
it also has a pad mode called PAD SCRATCH, that triggers different pre-recorded scratches by DJ Jazzy Jeff in sync with the playing track. This will certainly trigger the #realdjing crowd out there but to me, anything that can introduce DJ’s to new techniques is a welcome thing and it’s great to see Pioneer DJ teaming up with a legend to deliver new features to an entry-level DJ controller.
- DESIGNED FOR USE WITH SERATO DJ LITE FOR INTUITIVE DJ PERFORMANCES: the layout design of the DDJ-SB3 is inherited from the top models in the DDJ-S series. The jog wheels, Performance Pads, play and cue buttons, independent Auto Loop buttons and all the knobs and fader positions in the mixer section are arranged in a way that enables intuitive, professional DJ performances.
- WORLD’S FIRST PAD SCRATCH FOR EASY, PROFESSIONAL SCRATCH PERFORMANCES: by simply pressing the Performance Pads on the DDJ-SB3, you can use the Pad Scratch feature to imitate eight different scratch techniques recorded by DJ Jazzy Jeff. Any track that you’re playing or have cued up will be scratched, and the scratch speed automatically matches the track’s BPM. So even if you have no experience, you can create professional scratch performances without breaking rhythm. Use the feature in isolation or combine it with your own scratching on the other deck for limitless creative possibilities.
- FX FADE FOR SMOOTH MIXING: using the new FX Fade feature, you can reduce the volume and apply FX to a track at the same time. Whether you’re an experienced DJ or a beginner, this enables you to smoothly transition to your incoming track, even if you’re playing with different genres of music. There are eight FX patterns to choose from, with two of each of the following types: high pass filter, low pass filter, loop playback and backspin.
- VISUAL DESIGN ENABLES INTUITIVE PERFORMANCES: the DDJ-SB3 feels natural to use thanks to the clear visual division of the player and mixer sections, which feature a hairline and glossy finish respectively. The aluminum jog wheels create a quality look and feel.
- OTHER FEATURES:
- built-in sound card (audio interface) – plug and play by simply connecting the controller to your laptop using a single USB cable.
- Class-compliant – no need to install a driver.
- Mic input circuit – clear audio without distortion, even with high input level.
- USB bus powered.
- Grab handles on both sides – easy to carry.
- Paid upgrade to Serato DJ Pro (previously known as Serato DJ) – for more professional DJ performances. (available separately).
Pricing and Availability
Available now, for USD 249.