Reloop has just released the TAPE 2 recorder. In the world of digital tape recorders, there is something for everyone and for all budgets. The TAPE 2 looks like a vintage cassette, but with some cool tech inside. This is not the first time Reloop comes out with a tape inspired recorder, the original Reloop TAPE. This lacked support for SD cards and didn’t support WAV recording, so this is a great upgrade from the original product.
The TAPE 2 supports microSD cards and can double as an SD card reader as well. There are stickers in the package to customize the look of the TAPE 2 to your liking. The built-in battery goes on for 6 hours on a full charge, which should be enough for most DJ’s. And if you should run out of juice, just plug in the included USB adapter to charge on the fly.
The TAPE 2 can record in 320 kbps MP3 or lossless WAV, in case you need your set in the best possible quality. This is important for DJ’s that want to polish their mixes before, for example, using them in podcasts or Mixcloud.
On the connections side, the TAPE has Line level and mic level input to connect your gear and/or a microphone. There is also a THRU output when connecting gear that doesn’t have a spare RCA output.
Overall, the TAPE 2 is an interesting device, that looks cool and fits the DJ lifestyle. On top of that, it’s well featured and comes at a reasonable price, certainly less expensive than many digital recorders available on the market today.
- Portable audio recorder in a tape retro look
- Easily record your mix to microSD with the push of a button
- Selectable recording format: WAV (lossless) or MP3
- Integrated rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of active recording
- Line level and mic level input for connection of mixers or dynamic microphones
- THRU output for monitoring/connecting headphones or when separated REC out is available
- Fail-safe recording without complicated adjustments
- Lock/unlock functionality provides protection against accidentally stopping while recording
- Simple handling even in dark surroundings
- Input gain control
- Bi-LED feedback (power/REC, SD card full, signal/peak, battery)
- High-quality A/D converters in 24-bit
- HiSpeed slot for microSD cards (class 10 recommended)
- Card reader functionality during active USB connection with a computer
- Sync Tool: software that allows identifying recordings with a time stamp
- Kensington lock to secure the device
- Can be charged with any standard mobile power adapter (5 V)
- Enclosed sticker sets allow for an individualized look
Pricing and Availability
The Reloop TAPE 2 will cost USD 179.99 and will be available in September.