The same day Technics unveils their long-awaited DJ oriented SL-1200 upgrade, the SL-1200 MK7, Reloop counter attacks with the RP-8000 MK2 and the Elite battle mixer.
Not only is the RP-8000 MK2 a much more advanced product than the SL-1200 MK7, but chances are that it’s considerably cheaper as well. Does this spell trouble for Technics? Not likely. DJ’s will buy the new SL-1200 MK7 in droves, no matter the price, because it’s an SL-1200, and those have legendary status.
But back to Reloop. The most notable feature is what Reloop calls Platter Play:
Platter Play mode allows users to control the platter’s pitch via the performance pads, opening up new possibilities for musical live performances and turning the RP-8000 MK2 into a legitimate musical instrument. A total of 22 scales and 34 notes are at your disposal with an option to create up to 9 user-defined scales. The two speed select buttons can be used for pitch bending in Platter Play mode and also to respectively increase or decrease the audio material’s pitch in steps of one half-tone. Furthermore, the platter’s speed can also be controlled via an external MIDI keyboard.
Nice! Besides that, there is a built-in LCD screen that shows track info such as BPM when connected with Serato DJ, 8 performance pads that support several Serato DJ Pro performance modes (Cue, Sampler, Saved Loops, Pitch Play, Loop, Loop Roll, Slicer) through 4 mode buttons.
Add to that a solid construction, phono and line outs, a USB input to connect the RP-8000 MK2 directly to your laptop and Reloop clearly has a product that can compete in the top-end of the market, even with a legendary name such as Technics.
- The most advanced DJ turntable ever made, developed in close collaboration with renowned international turntable musicians
- Designed for Serato DJ Pro: Control 7 new RGB colour-coded performance modes
- Platter Play: In this mode, the performance pads can be used to control the speed of the platter to enable melodic and more musical live performances
- Extra large, highly responsive performance pads with multi-colour LEDs
- 22 scales are available with the option to create up to 9 custom scales
- Pitch bending function via speed select buttons in Platter Play mode
- Reworked control section: More streamlined multi-encoder and intuitive mode section
- First of its kind: Independent pad modes (when used in conjunction with the ELITE mixer)
- Rigid chassis construction with an even heavier design with additional reinforcements out of metal, rubber and moulding compound for high vibration damping and isolation
- More powerful starting torque (adjustable from 2.8 – 4.5 kg/cm)
- Fine-tuned motor control for further optimization of wow and flutter and rotation
- Newly-developed, height-adjustable MK2 tone arm base (VTA)
- Particularly lightweight and rigid satin aluminium material used for tone arm
- Adjustable pitch scale for precise adjustments
- Additional output: The turntable can be connected to two mixers at the same time and also allows easy switching from DVS to vinyl
- Optional ground terminal offers additional protection in complex club & studio environments
- Easily replaceable, freely rotatable LED needle light in new unibody aluminium design
- High-quality and hard-wearing deep black, metallic finish
- Quartz driven hybrid turntable instrument with upper-torque direct drive
- Takes your DJ performances to a new level of creativity and musicality
- MIDI compatible control section consists of multi-encoder, 8 large LED pads, three layers with 7 performance modes (cue, sampler, saved loops, pitch play, loop, loop roll, slicer) and 2 user modes
- Digital LC display for pitch, BPM, scale, key, deck assignment and firmware settings
- Seamlessly combines a powerful musical instrument and a world class professional DJ turntable
- Adjustable stop time (0.2 – 6 sec.)
- Precise motor control with 3 speeds (33 1/3, 45 & 78 RPM)
- Precision manufactured, die cast aluminium turntable
- Rubber inlays reduce vibrations and background noise
- Statically balanced, universal S-shaped tone arm with hydraulic lift and anti-skating mechanism
- Universal connection for pick-up systems (SME)
- High-resolution pitch fader (0.02 % resolution)
- Pitch range +/-8 %, +/-16 %, +/-50 % (Ultra Pitch)
- Quartz lock
- Reverse function: Switch for forward and reverse operation
- Smart USB link for up to 4 turntables
- Auto deck-assign feature when linked
- Recessed connection cavity for easy installation in cases & seamless adjustment
- Phono and line out (no grounding required)
- Removable mains and RCA cables
- Safety mains switch
- Shock-absorbing feet insulate against vibrations
- Incl. turntable, slipmat, LED needle light, counterweight, phono RCA cable with grounding, USB cable, power cord, operating instructions
Pricing and Availability
The Reloop RP-8000 MK2 will cost USD 699 and will be available end of January 2019.