Update: Djtechtools is reporting that the price of the SL-1200 MK7 (US model) will be a whopping USD 1200 and the SL-1210 MK7 (EU model) will sell for £ 899/€ 1100. This is quite a bit of money considering the new Reloop RP-8000 MK2 is technologically much more advance while costing a mere USD 699. Will the Technics brand magically make all that go away and convince people of spending that amount of cash on a DJ turntable? Only time will tell…
As expected, Technics did indeed present their new SL-1200 MK7, or SL-1210 MK7 for the European market at CES 2019.
What it didn’t share though is a launch date and price, which leaves potential buyers wondering if we are looking at an affordable piece of kit in the USD 700-800 price range or rather the prohibitive-for-most-DJ’s 2000-4000 range.
I think this will be less than a 1000 dollars, around 700-900 would be my guess.
Why? Because Technics has already a line-up of turntables aimed at audiophiles. This model is meant for DJ’s, that much is clear from the marketing so far, and the specs. Most DJ turntables today don’t cost over USD 700, so Technics would not put themselves out of the market by asking much more than that for a product that is, probably, not that superior to what Reloop, Pioneer DJ or Numark already have in their offering.
But, as always, I could be wrong. Check the full specifications, images and an early “hands-on” video below!
Technology for Rotational Stability
- Coreless Direct Drive Motor
- High-Precision Motor Controller
Construction for Vibration Tolerance
- High-Dumping Turntable Platter
- Rigid Cabinet Construction
- High-Dumping Insulator
- High Sensitive Tonearm
- Detachable PHONO Terminal
Technics Definitive Design
- Inherited SL-1200 Series
- Drive Method: Direct Drive
- Turntable Speeds: 33 1/3, 45rpm (with switch 78 rpm)
- Starting Torque: 0.18N･m / 1.8kg･cm (1.56 lbs-in)
- Build-up Characteristics: 0.7 s. from standstill to 33 1/3 rpm
- Wow and Flutter: 0.025% W.R.M.S.
- Turntable Platter: Aluminum die-cast
- Diameter：332mm (13-5/64″)
- Weight：Approx. 1.8kg (4.0 lbs) (Including slipmat and slipsheet)
- Type: Universal, Static Balance
- Effective Length: 230mm (9-1/16″)
- Overhang: 15mm (19/32″)
- Tracking Error Angle:
- Within 2° 32′ (at the outer groove of 30cm(12″) record)
- Within 0° 32′ (at the inner groove of 30cm(12″) record)
- Offset Angle: 22° • Arm Height Adjustment Range: 0 – 6mm
- Stylus Pressure Adjustment Range: 0 – 4g (Direct Reading)
- Head Shell Weight: Approx. 7.6g
- Applicable Cartridge Weight Range:
- [without auxiliary weight] 5.6 – 12.0g (14.3 – 20.7g (including headshell))
- Head Shell Terminal Lug: 1.2mmφ 4-pin terminal lug
Audio Output: PHONO (Pin Jack) x 1, EARTH TERMINAL x 1
- Power Supply: AC120 V, 60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 8W (Approx. 0.2W (Standby))
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 453 x 169 x 353mm (17-27/32 × 6-21/32 × 13-29/32 inch)
- Weight: Approx. 9.6kg (Approx. 21.2lbs)
Turntable, Slipmat, Slipsheet, Dust cover, EP record adaptor, Balance weight, Headshell, Screw set for cartridge, PHONO cable, PHONO earth lead, AC power supply cord, Owner’s Manual
Pricing and Availability
Pricing and availability are unknown at this moment.